Regrets

"Therefore, since we also have such a large cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us lay aside every weight and the sin that so easily ensnares us. Let us run with endurance the race that lies before us, keeping our eyes on Jesus, the source and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that lay before Him endured a cross and despised the shame and has sat down at the right hand of God’s throne." -Hebrews 12:1-2 (HCSB)


It's ok to have regrets, just don't live in them. If I had said this to myself 5 years ago, I would have immediately started arguing: "I don't regret anything because it's brought me to where I am today." I used to say this all the time, but to be honest, it wasn't true. There were (and still are) a LOT of things I regretted. Choices I wished I hadn't made. Times when I'd done something I knew I shouldn't've done. I had regrets, and I still do.

But none of us are prefect, so regrets are going to happen. We all  make mistakes (which is ok, btw) and all have done things we wish we hadn't done and could have simply learned our lesson by hearing it. But that doesn't mean we should reject our regrets because regrets have their place, too. 



Remorse. It's a word not entirely uncommon, but not often used in our culture. It is a feeling us Americans (at least in my experience) like to avoid because of what it means: it means that we screwed up.


re·morse

  [ri-mawrs]  Show IPA
noun
1.
deep and painful regret for wrongdoing; compunction.
2.
pity; compassion.



Only after I allowed myself to feel the extent of my remorse was I able to find forgiveness and healing for myself through Christ. 

Looking at the definition of remorse, it's interesting how the first articulates the feeling we experience when we do something we wish we hadn't, and the second expresses how Jesus responds when we do: with pity and compassion.


"When Jesus stood up, He said to her, 'Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?'

'No one, Lord,' she answered.


'Neither do I condemn you,' said Jesus. 'Go, and from now on do not sin anymore.'” -John 8:10-11


This woman had been caught in the act of adultery (talk about regret) and had been taken outside into the street to be killed by stoning (being pelted with rocks until you're dead). A crowd surrounding her, rocks in hands, every person accepting, maybe even looking forward to what was to come, but Jesus stepped in. The only person in that place with any real right to judge her, and He spoke on her behalf. He saved her, not because of what she had done or not done, but because of love. The Bible doesn't say if Jesus had any interaction with this woman prior to this event. She had probably seen Him and heard of Him by this point, but as far as we know, she didn't have any personal relationship or connection to Him at all. Legally, she deserved this fate, and Jesus was a complete stranger to her. 

But He still loved her enough to save her life

And that's exactly what Christ does for us, every moment of every day: Jesus stands between us and death, regardless of whether we know and acknowledge Him, and takes what we really do deserve upon Himself so that we have a chance to live.

Guilt can cripple, but regrets help us to remember this. They remind us of where we've been so that as we move forward, we can do better than what we did before. 

Have a terrific Tuesday!!! :)

Thank you, Lord Jesus, for seeing me not as I am or who I was or what I did, but as Your bride. As the person I want to be, and help me see myself that way. Thank you for letting me have regrets so that I understand how much I really do need You. Holy Spirit, help me remember this and extend grace, love, and mercy to others, even when they wrong me. Help me to be Your hands and feet today, Lord. Protect and guide me, Father, that I may make wise and good decisions and make You proud. For Your glory, Lord. Amen.

"Therefore, no condemnation now exists for those in Christ Jesus, because the Spirit’s law of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death." -Romans 8:1 (HCSB)


Comments

Popular Posts